What is BC Cares?
BC Cares is a program that was designed by the BC Care Providers Association (BCCPA) in 2007 to recruit care aides into the growing seniors care sector. Initially developed as a pilot with the Fraser Health Authority, BC Cares became a province-wide initiative in 2009-2009.
Care Providers Offer LPN Mentorship Opportunity
The BC Care Providers Association (BCCPA) is inviting long-term care employers to participate in a new mentorship program as part of a strategy to improve retention of care aides and nurses in the BC seniors care sector. The 80/20 LPN Mentorship project will partner late career LPNs with newly graduated and/or "new to residential care" LPNs at the same facility to:
- create a structured opportunity for late career LPNs to share their years of experience with newly graduated LPNs
- help new LPNs in residential care transition to new role and settings
- include backfilling late career LPNs for the equivalent of one day per week - 20% of their time - which will be partially subsidized by the project
- provide release for late-career LPNs from more physically and psychologically demanding work
- work to improve retention of care health care professionals and quality of care
- build on successful mentorship initiatives in other jurisdictions
- take place over a defined six month period
Thanks to the funding support of the Canada/BC Labour Market Partnership agreement, BCCPA is able to provide some funding to facilitate the participation of a limited number of affiliate residential care facilities in this mentorship opportunity - which is also being supported by the Hospital Employees' Union and BC Government and Service Employees' Union. This innovative initiative is one of more than 15 recommendations included in the seniors care human resources strategy that was developed as part of the Canada/BC partnership.
For more information on the 80/20 LPN Mentorship Project, click here. To participate in the project, contact firstname.lastname@example.org before August 8.
NEW: Seniors Care HR Strategy Released
Report Offers Insight into Human Resources Issues in Seniors Care Sector – (click here for news release)